2021 JX Year Long Online Course | Playwrighting in Facilitation
Playwrighting in Facilitation
a contemporary approach to
facilitation using the perspective of the playwright in creating
theatre and drama for children
and young people
(taught in English)
2021 JianXue International
Year Long Online Course
Playwrighting is an art and craft. In English the word ‘play’ applies to both forms of playing (imaginativeplay, games, sports etc., and drama. In Old English it also means applause).The word ‘wright’ is also an Old English term for a craftsman or builder. Play and wright combine to indicate a person who has ‘wrought’ words, themes, images and actions into a dramatic structure and form to embed meaning in what we call a play (The homophone with write is incidental here). So, the playwright is also a maker. But what are they making?
Shakespeare wrote “All the world’s a stage”, and dramatist commissioned to write a play script, is required to ‘wright’ human experience in one form of other to engage us in the world. As playwrights of human experience, therefore, we need to know how to select stories/materials that offers content that has significance, enacted in a Site, with a Centre,and concerns the sequencing of dramatic action. The same also applies to anyone who structures and facilitates a TiE programme or Process Drama, where we playwright the material we are exploring with the participants to shape and access its meaning in the moment. And the same too can be said in relation to leading/directing a devising process for children or young people. To do this effectively we need to develop the self-spectator, become an empathic watcher and a dramatic engineer.
How You will Benefit
This comprehensive online course will explore and develop the following (although not necessarily in this order):
- Your understanding of theatre and drama.
- The imagination and human value.
- The function of theatre insociety, in particular the power of tragedy and the relationship between selfand society.
- The importance of Story.
- Which stories/materials to choose and how to deconstruct them as part of a process.
- Using different starting points for playwrighting human experience.
- Engage with the artistic, philosophical,and pedagogical thinking that underpins the approach to playwrighting in facilitation.
- Explore what Facilitation is, and the function of the facilitator.
- Frame, role and task.
- Choosing appropriate subject matter for children and young people.
- Exploring specific play scripts by Cooper (The Other Side of Me (for 4-7 y.o) and The Land Between two Rivers (13-16 y.o) , The Journey (Youth Theatre 7-9 y.o) and Socially Distant (14+), to analyse the structure and how it the same material can be applied in. process drama etc.
- The theory of the Site & Centre and Gap.
- The Self Spectator
- The empathic watcher
- The dramatic Engineer
Who Can Benefit from the Course
This advanced level professional training will be of benefit to dramatists and theatre practitioners as well as drama teachers, art educators, education professionals, and those who work with children and young people and are interested in their individual and social development.
Note: we will proritise those who have been attending JianXue Summer School between 2016 and 2021.
How You Will Connect to the Programme
（Oct 2021-Feb 2022）
- You will have 12 120-minute sessions with the Course leader on Zoom with co-leaners.
- Bi-weekly 90 minutes peer group sessions with co-leaners (withoutCL).
- You will join WeChat group discussion with the JX online course community.
- You will receive written materials specifically designed for the course as well as video/audio materials, talks, lectures, workshops.
- Individual and group tasks.
- Undertake a project for young people or children.
- You will prepare a project plan for the one to one project tutorials with the CL and submit it before 26 Feb 2022.
- You will engage in 6-hour one to one tutorials (these could be 6 on hour sessions or fewer sessions for longer up to to 6 hours) with the Course leader to focus on developing your project.
- You will develop your project plan with your Course leader.
- You will continue to participate in group discussion on WeChat.
- You will continue Bi-weekly 90 minutes peer group sessions with co-leaners throughout this part of thecourse.
[ Your Commitment ]
The Online Course offers guided support to your own reflective practice. It’s not an introductory course. You are required to:
- Dedicate a minimum of 8 hours per week study.
- Dedicate extra time toreading, including but not limited to the course materials, books, extracts.
- Complete course tasks forfurther analysis when required.
- Attend bi-weekly group discussion. Peer learning is no less profound than the tutor led learning.
- Complete a course assessment provided by JX.
red is the dates for online sessions
Green is the dates for the peer meeting
Time (CST) : 15:00-17:00 before 31 Oct
Time (CST): 16:00-18:00 after 31 Oct
This advanced professional development course for playwrighting in facilitation for is broken down into the following modules for the purposes of applicants, but it will not necessarily be taught in discrete modules or in thelinear fashion laid out below. There will still be flexibility to respond to the emerging needs of the group.
Self and Society
- The Greeks: Dran and Trauma and the birth of tragedy
- All the world’s a stage
- Theatre and drama- the relationship between form and content
The need for story and how to choose them
- Ideology and the extreme
- Suitable for children: choosing appropriate material for the appropriate age
The dramatic child, imagination and meaning making
- The Drama of Being a Child
- Play and drama
- Imagination and human value
Entering the Gap
- The Site
- The Centre
- Drama Event
Narrative thinking and pedagogy
- The culture of education
- Imaginative Seeing and disciplined intuition
- The Zone of Proximal Development
The Art of Facilitation
- From teacher to facilitator – mediation and co-constructing meaning
- Angle of connection
- Frame, task & role
The Art of Facilitation II: Here and now
- Don’t teach yesterday’s Kids today! – Facilitating the children not the structure
- The Empathic watcher
- The Self-spectator
- The Dramatic Engineer
Plays – dramatic structure
- The Other Side of Me
- The Journey
- The Examination
- Socially Distant
From play to process drama and devising
- Image, action, object
- Different starting points for playwrighting human experience
International Director of JianXue
Chief Cultural Officer of Drama Rainbow Education
[ Course Withdrawal / Cancellation ]
The course is an online experiential programme with a limited number of spaces available to facilitate in depth learning and one to one tutoring. We value your commitment to the course curriculum and schedule and hope you respect your own and others’ commitment.
A refund will be given under the circumstances that applying refund one month before the official opening of the course (before Sep 15, 2021), and there will be no refund after the formal opening of the course.
HKD 24100 per person
USD 3100 per person
(Tutor teaching + Peer meeting +
6-hour Tutor 1v1 )
HKD 29900 per person
USD 3860 per person
(Tutor teaching + Peer meeting +
12-hour Tutor 1v1 )
[ Bank Information for Payment ]
付款账号：1109 2488 2410 506
Certificate of Attendance
Students who have successfully completed all online courses can obtain course completion certificate with Course leader coments.
You need to submit the application form online. The applicant should have practical experience in educational drama or have participated in professional courses of educational drama;
If the applicant’s professional level is not suitable for the course temporarily after the trainer’s review or online interview, we will recommend other project courses for you.
[ Application Form Collection ]
Scan the QR code below to get the Registration Form in WeChat
to fill in online or download to fill in, send to the mailbox：email@example.com
& cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click [Read the Article] at the left bottom
of the end to enter the website.
Enrollment Consulting: email@example.com
& cc to: firstname.lastname@example.org
During the class, you need to abide by the following online classroom rules. If there is any illegal operation, we have the right to terminate your participation.
- The copyright of this online course belongs to: JianXue International Education And Culture Institute. No screen recording is allowed for other purposes. Any use of this course for other purposes must be authorized by JianXue International Education And Culture Institute.
- We have the right to terminate your participation if you spread negative, illegal and harmful remarks in the online communication in network or website.